Take precautions to protect your mail
With Spring Break just around the corner, you might have plans to get out of town for a few days. This is a fun time of year for families to travel somewhere warm and get ready for summer! While you are away, protect your mail and home.
Protecting your mail is important in two aspects. First, stolen mail can put you at risk for identity theft. Second, uncollected mail notifies potential burglars of an unoccupied home. This leaves you vulnerable to a home burglary.
Here are some easy steps to make sure your mail and home stay secure while you’re away:
1. Call your local mail and newspaper services and notify them you will be on vacation for a specified time. They will halt all your mail while you are out of town. Upon return, the mail you missed will be delivered in its entirety.
2. Ask a neighbor or a friend to periodically check your mailbox and look for items left by the post office that you might have missed while you’re on vacation.
3. Resist posting your vacation plans on social media. Wait to post any pictures until after you get back.
4. Make sure your valuables are hidden and securely locked away inside your home.
5. Put a few lights on a dusk-to-dawn timer. This is will turn on lights during the night and turn them off during the day. This ensures lights are not always on, but not always off either.
Estes Design Mailbox and Streetscapes mailboxes come with built-in security features. The Estes T2 Aluminum mailbox is made with all-aluminum alloy. This heavy-duty features ensures your mailbox is protected and secured from the varying Spring weather. In addition, the Estes T2 has a magnetic door latch to keep your mailbox tightly shut.